Jonathan Must dump VP Sambo to have needed vote in the North - Muhammad

Nigerian News, Nigeria News


One of the outspoken northern leaders, Dr Junaid Muhammad, in a recent interview with journalists said for President Goodluck Jonathan to make inroads into the North, he must drop his deputy, Namadi Sambo from the ticket. Zacheaus Somorin, who was there, brings the excerpts:


You have consistently been a critic of the federal government. Is it that there is something that you can see that other people who don't criticise government cannot see?
I have always been having occasions where people will say it to my face that I am a pain in their necks, not very rudely though. Sometimes they say it by way of joke, sometimes, you are troublesome or you are too much or a critic, both civilian and military individuals use to say to me. Once in a while I laugh it off.


Well, I like what I do, whether you like it or not, unfortunately, there is little or nothing I can do about you not liking what I say. However, what makes me happy and fulfilled is the fact that I have done my best possibly for the country because I believe that this country is an important enterprise and I think all of us including the civic society, must put our differences aside including our primordial considerations so that we can make this enterprise called Nigeria a success.


But you also hit at personalities too?
I think personalities to me, are only relevant when they affect the issue being discussed, but I don’t go out of my way to hit any personalities, as a matter of fact, I am not interested in personalities but issues but until issues are as relevant as personalities, then they will be a legitimate target. But if you can’t stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen. You have no business in public life if you can’t take a punch or two over the belt or under the belt. But I think to be able to survive in public service, you must be able to have a thick skin and I have thick skin and I expect all sparing partners with me.


What is your take on the present crisis in the House of Representatives following the speaker’s defection and the subsequent withdrawal of his security details?
I found that very difficult to accept and I find the attitude of the inspector general of police, who I see as a friend condemnable. I think what he did is a disgrace to his uniform, a disgrace to the police service. Whether Tambuwal had the right to defect to another political party, for me, is not an issue. My concern is if any public officer changes party, it is not the duty of police to interpret what the law says about that. It is not healthy for supposed independent police body to be seeing openly siding with the government of the day and trying to curry favour.


Jonathan has picked his nomination form for a second term. Do you think he deserves another mandate from the people?
Whenever a politician is campaigning and seeking for votes, my attitude is usually based on what he has promised and assess his performance in office via-a vis the promises he made. Over and above that, the responsibility of government is the maintenance of law and order. A government must protect your life and mine, your property and mine, these are fundamental responsibilities of government. And when government fails in that rule number one, that government ceases to be a government that one should associate with.


Are you saying he has failed in that regard?
Yes, absolutely. He failed woefully. We have right now, a very hasty insurgency, carried out by few terrorists in the name of Boko Haram in the North-East which has been deserted. As we speak, the chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badey has his home village in Adamawa being run down by these Boko Harm elements. That does not portend credibility. I am worried because if the Nigerian armed
forces today are in no position to protect your life and mine, then we are in very serious trouble - presidency has not been able to do anything to protect our lives. The situation is a lot worse than it was when he came into power. All he has been able to do it to make us more angry and intolerable.


You said the president does not deserve a second term, how about his deputy?
Under the presidential system we operate, some of the facts that have to be assessed include who decides a vice president? I think there are antecedents. Whatever might have been the consideration for Goodluck to have picked Namadi Sambo is a miscalculation. And As far as I am concerned, it is evident from what we know that there is nothing to prove that Namadi sambo to be president himself when opportunity presents itself.

I can justify my verdict with the way they have been handling the power issue in the country. When they came to power, Nigeria was generating about 5000 megawatts, and today we are producing about 3000 megawatts. There is really nothing to show for it. So if you have got it, show it; if you have something, prove it to me. If you have got it, flaunt it.

There is nothing to prove that this man has the capacity or insight to be the vice president of the country and when you have a very weak president and supported by an incompetent vice-president, then it is a national tragedy. For all I care, those two have no business in the presidency. They should please go and eat their humble pie and leave so that others can come and try. How true? If Jonathan wants to lose the election, let him run with Sambo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#GUINNESS RECORD: Nigerian set World record for Longest sexual intercourse ever

The Ark of Covenant Has been Found, right under the Cross where Jesus was Crucified (Pics & Video)

Bestiality: 20-year-old girl arrested for having sex with dog since she was 13